I’m not going to argue that there’s a substitute for experiencing Dollywood in-person because there isn’t. BUT, when being at the park is not an option, I do have a suggestion for you. We have several on-ride coaster videos that allow you to take a 360-degree adventure right where you are. It’s best-experienced on a device other than a desktop—a device like a smart phone or tablet you can move to “look” around as you ride. Can you almost feel that Smoky Mountain wind in your face?? Use the toggles below to learn and ride!
This suspended roller coaster has guests ride as if they are held by “dragonflies” dipping and darting through geysers in the Wildwood Grove area of the park. One of the most playful creatures inhabiting Wildwood Grove’s creekside, Dragonflier mimics the flight of a Smoky Mountain dragonfly as it speeds through the terrain in a twisting, unpredictable path. With the rush of wind and the thrill of flight, there’s nothing more exhilarating than a ride on the wings of a dragonfly! Dragonflier accommodates guests 39 inches or taller. Guests 48 inches or shorter must be accompanied by someone 16 years old or older. The maximum rider height is 81 inches (6 feet, 9 inches).
- Manufacturer: Vekoma Rides Manufacturing
- Ride Type: Suspended steel roller coaster
- Track Length: 1,486 feet
- Year of Installation: 2019
- Passengers per Train: 20
- Ride Duration: 1 minute, 40 seconds
- Lift Height: 63 feet
- Top Speed: 42.5 mph
They say where there’s smoke, there’s fire. Fortunately, it seems like with every big blaze, there have always been a few brave souls willing to answer the call – heroes able to tame nature’s fury and preserve the Smokies for generations to come! Now comes your turn to celebrate that heroic spirit in a coaster sure to test your mettle, and leave you screaming for more! It’s FireChaser Express – the nation’s first dual-launch family coaster – blasting riders forward and backward! The minimum height requirement is 39 inches.
- Manufacturer: Gerstlauer
- Ride Type: Dual-launch coaster
- Track Length: 2,427 feet
- Year Installed: 2014
- Passengers per Train: 14 (three trains with seven rows each)
- Ride Duration: 2 minutes, 19 seconds
- Lift Height: 12 stories (above entrance grade)
- Top of Lift Height: 79 feet (above station grade)
- Forward launch speed: Zero to 16 mph in 1.1 seconds
- Backward launch speed: Zero to 20 mph in 2 seconds
- Maximum Speed: 34.5 miles per hour
- Ride Elements: Two helices, six zero-gravity moments, “trick track” section where train twists side-to-side
Themed after a tricked-out 1950s-era hot rod, Lightning Rod ® launches riders from zero to 45 mph more than 20 stories up its lift hill to one of the ride’s first airtime moments. At the crest of the hill, riders face twin summit airtime hills before tackling the daring first drop. Lightning Rod races down and propels guests along its track to a top speed of 73 mph, the fastest speed for a wood coaster in the world. Located in Dollywood’s Jukebox Junction, Lightning Rod rockets riders around its massive wooden structure on an adrenaline-charged lap through the trees in the hills and valleys surrounding Dollywood. During the ride, guests experience nearly 20 seconds of airtime. The coaster train is comprised of 12 cars, carrying two passengers each, for a total of 24 people per train. The minimum height requirement is 48 inches.
- Manufacturer: Rocky Mountain Construction, Inc.
- Ride Type: Wood roller coaster
- Track Length: 3,800 feet
- Year Installed: 2016
- Passengers Per Train: 24 (two trains with 12 cars each)
- Ride Duration: 3 minutes, 12 seconds
- Lift Height: 206 feet (80 ft. above crest of lift hill)
- Drop Height: 165 feet
- Top Speed: 73 miles per hour
- Ride Elements: Zero to 45 mph launch = 1500 HP, trick hill (twin summits), 90 + degree bank breaking wave turn, 90 + degree outside banked top hat, twist and shout, step up, quadruple down, high speed airtime hill, non-inverting half loop, 12 total airtime moments
Mystery Mine is a coaster themed as a long-abandoned coal mine with an eerie past. What if there is no light at the end of the tunnel? Located in Dollywood’s Timber Canyon area, this coaster is the United States’ first system based on Gerstlauer’s Euro-fighter ride, which combines an intimate guest experience with hair-raising 95-degree drops. Mystery Mine utilizes a state-of-the-art show experience built on special effects, audio and lots of excitement. The minimum height requirement is 48 inches.
- Manufacturer: Gerstlauer
- Ride Type: Euro-Fighter steel roller coaster
- Track Length: 1804 feet
- Year Installed: 2007
- Passengers per Train: Eight passengers per train (seven trains)
- Ride Duration: 2 minutes, 49 seconds
- Lift Height: 85 feet
- Maximum Track Incline: 97 degrees
- Top Speed: 43 mph
- Ride Elements: 95-degree vertical lift and drop, heartline roll, indoor/outdoor track, special effects throughout
Tennessee Tornado offers a whirlwind of fun, thrills and excitement unlike any other ride experience in the world. The lush, wooded terrain of Dollywood, located in the foothills of the beautiful Great Smoky Mountains, provides the spectacular setting for this unique roller coaster journey. The suspense begins immediately after the coaster leaves the station and climbs into the treetops. The minimum height requirement is 48 inches.
- Ride Manufacturer: S-S POWER INC.
- Ride Type: Steel roller coaster
- Track Length: 2,682 feet
- Year Installed: 1999
- Passengers per Train: 28 (seven cars, four passengers per car); two trains
- Ride Duration: 1 minute, 48 seconds
- Inversions: 3
- Lift Height: 137 feet
- Top Speed: 63 mph
- Ride Elements: Underground tunnel, “spiro loop”, 110-degree banked curve, “iron butterfly” (back-to-back inversions), “S” curve with 70-degree over-banking
An old sawmill once moved lumber out of the mountains at Thunderhead Gap. Wood is still the focus, but now the operation known as Thunderhead is the wildest ride in the woods! Carefully situated between two mountains, this massive wooden coaster stands tall among the mighty trees and takes advantage of the area’s rough and tumble terrain to create a daring ride featuring the world’s first “fly through” station where the coaster roars through the station at approximately 40 mph on a track located eight feet above the loading platform, providing waiting guests with an up-close preview of what’s to come. Thunderhead has 14 bridges with its track crossing over and under itself 32 times! The minimum height requirement is 48 inches.
- Manufacturer: Great Coasters International
- Ride Type: Wood Coaster (10 miles of decking!)
- Track Length: 3,230 feet
- Year Installed: 2004
- Passengers per Train: 24 (12 rows of 2)
- Ride Duration: 2 minutes, 30 seconds
- Tallest Drop: 100 feet
- Top Speed: 55 mph
- Ride Elements: Fly through station, 22 turns, extreme-speed “S” curve, 32 cross-overs
America’s first wing coaster is perched 21 stories above Dollywood and takes riders on a unique experience that feels as if they are actually soaring high above the Smoky Mountains. Instead of having the train on the track, Wild Eagle® seats riders on either side so there is nothing but air above and below the rider! The minimum height requirement is 50 inches.
- Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard
- Ride Type: Steel wing coaster
- Track Length: 3,127 feet
- Year Installed: 2012
- Passengers Per Train: 28 (seven cars, four passengers per car); two trains
- Ride Duration: 2 minutes, 22 seconds
- Inversions: 4
- Lift Height: 210 feet above entrance grade
- Top Speed: 61 mph
- Ride Elements: Giant Loop, Zero-G Roll, Inclined Immelmann, Giant Flat Spin, Camel Back Spiral Eight Curve